Ready for adventure! Then this is your chance to own a unique all-weather, all-terrain, off-grid expedition truck with the comforts of home.
Don’t put in +1500 hours of your precious time and energy into building an expedition truck yourself! You can own your own expedition truck now; instead of being at the bottom of a 3-year waiting list.
Be amazed by the performance upgrades, unique features (e.g., large slide-out terrace) and incredible use of space. This is a truck that can take you wherever you want. And if you want, you can even take a motorcycle and boat with you on tour.
This truck was build with three things in mind:
- Comfort (incl. Autonomy)
We hope you love this truck as much as we do!
The chassis of the expedition truck is a STEYR 12M18. It was originally build for the Austrian military (M in 12M18 = Military version; Year of make = 1986*) and overhauled and remodeled over the last 3 years (2015-2018). It’s now registered in Germany as a Motorhome/RV*.
One of the most remarkable things about this truck is that it has a turning circle similar to the Land Rover Defender 110, but with far more comfort (e.g., air-suspended seats)
* It is possible to import this truck into the USA (25 Year rule). It can also be registered in many other countries under the cheaper “oldtimer” class (including cheaper taxes etc.)
|Overview Steyr 12M18|
|Gross Weight (kg)||12000||9600 (10.76 US ton)||Length (m)||6.36 (20.87 feet)||+0.5 bike rack|
|Width (m)||2.5 (8.20 feet)|
|Height (m)||3.24||3.68 (12.07 feet)|
|Engine||6.6-liter turbocharged diesel engine||+ Intercooler & diesel injection optimization|
|Engine power (hp)||177||200+ (ca. 240)||+ High Flow Cyclone Air Filter|
|Maximum road speed (km/h)||ca. 100||ca. 125 (78mph)|
|Range (km)||ca. 800||ca. 1300 (800 miles)|
|Gearbox||8 + 1 crawler||+ Continuous lubrication|
|Locking differentials||center, rear & front|
Major Additional Upgrades
(All the performance upgrades, also the one mentioned above, where carried out by Steyr specialist Excap)
- Koni shocks & Stronger cab shocks
- 3-point galvanized subframe
- Complete overhaul of rear axle, including breaks
- Larger alternator, 80 Amps
- Offroad tires 14.00R20
- Multiple stainless steel storage boxes (1 holding an additional outdoor cooker)
- Chassis sand-blasted and resprayed (2015)
- Driver’s cab completely stripped in resprayed (2016)
- Rear side windows in driver’s cab removed and welded close
- Large passing-through to living-unit
- Bike rack with additional stainless steel storage boxes
An FM2 Zeppelin-shelter from the German military forms the frame of the camper unit – the living quarters. Combining the STEYR 12M18 with this durable and sturdy container resulted in an expedition truck that can handle all kind of roads and climates.
We paid extra attention to the quality of material used. It had to pass the test of time and of offroading. Therefore, we often couldn’t use the standard material available for Motorhomes/RV’s. Instead we had to resource highly specialized and custom-made materials.
- Glass windows (Outbound): tinted isolation glass approved for use in motorhomes, altitude pressure system, cold bridge free construction, extra fine mesh
- 3 point-lock side door with glass window (Outbound) + safety & security film on window
- UNIQUE LARGE SLIDE-OUT TERRACE: approx. 1m x 3m (3.3 x 9.8 feet)
- UNIQUE FOLDAWAY BATHROOM WALLS (180 degrees turning doors) to increase living space
- Washing machine
- Extra large compressor fridge (173l / 46 US gal) & freezer (41 l / 11 US gal)
- Aluminum locks & handles in all cabinet doors
- 2x 210l water tanks (autonomy for 4 weeks for 2 people
- Eberspaecher Heating system (Eberca)
- 4x 190W Solar System, all Victron products (Eberca)
- Enough space behind countertop to move around with 2
- Sitting area that can be transformed into a lounge area or add 2 additional seats.
- Tons of storage (also underneath bed, that can be easily and comfortably accessed from inside)
We hope this expedition truck impressed you and that it shows how much thought and specialized work has gone into it.
For more information (incl. price), CONTACT US via the contact form below. We will get back to you as soon as possible. (We speak English, German & Dutch – And a little Spanish).
Hope to talk to you soon!
Nicole & Elmer – Terratrotter®