In 2014 we went for a 5 week road trip to Georgia with a Jeep Wrangler. How did we prepare for this trip? We will summarize it here:
Preparations started early, actually a year before we left. One major element on the to-do list was getting the Jeep ready. Not that one needs a fully prepared and beefed up 4×4 car to drive to Georgia. The Ursa Minor J30 pop-up roof had caught Elmer’s attention and needed to be ordered and shipped from San Diego, USA to Rotterdam, Netherlands. This process went smoothly and the roof arrived on time.
For our cooking and storage needs Elmer made our own kitchen module, fitted to the trunk of the Jeep. The module is a set of drawers that hold a two-burner gas stove, sink, freezer, equipment and gear. On the rollbar he mounted the fire extinguisher as well as the propane gas bottle. Wires running from the starter battery to the trunk power all the extra equipment.
HEALTH – FIRST AID
- Aspirin (general pain-relief)
- Ibuprofen (pain-relief & Anti-inflammatory)
- Anti-histamine tablets (allergy relief)
- Anti-diarrhea remedies
- Constipation relief
CREAMS & OTHER SOLUTIONS
- Arnica cream (anti-inflammatory properties, used mainly for bruises and relieve muscle aches)
- Hand sanitizer
- Wound wash first-aid cleanser
- Antiseptic cream: A&D + Antibiotic ointment
- Insect repellent
- Sunscreen & after-sun
- Bandages (regular & blister)
- Sterile dressings (different sizes, non-adherant, latex-free; including hydropads for burn relief)
- Self-adherent wrap
- Gentle tape
- Needle & tweezer (to remove splinters etc.)
- Safety pins
- Disposable gloves
- Disinfecting wipes (bio-degradable)
- Dental repair kit
- “Where there is no doctor” by David Werner
- Passport & Visa: We need an online pre-ordered Visa (20 US $) for Turkey. We do not require a Visa for the other countries we drive through.
- Drivers license & car papers.
- Green insurance card for the Jeep. Maybe we will have to get a seperate insurance for the Jeep in Georgia as the green one does not count there (although we have been told not to get one as they don’t pay anyway).
- Travel insurance
- Contact information of our embassies in each of the countries.
- Extra copies (paper & digital) of all paperwork.
- 2 laptops, 2 iPads (one is mounted to the windshield and funtions as a GPS – MotionX), 3 USB sticks, 2 external harddrives (This turned out to be way too much electronics for this vacation)
- Jeeps harddrive (full of music & audiobooks)
- Smart phones (one is unlocked so it can be used with local SIM cards)
- Gopro (with suction mount), DSLR Camera, Video Cam, Tripod (none of these things we used more than once; we basically filmed everything with our cellphone or iPad)
- Bestek 12V DC to 110 AC Inverter (dual 110AC outlet & dual USB port – 1A & 2.1A)
- CB radio (to stay in contact with Michael and Udo in the Landrover)
- Bluetooth speaker EcoXgear (We love this waterproof speaker)
- Folding chairs, folding table, hammock
- Geigeririg 700 (pressurized hydration pack)
- Maglite flashlight (rechargeable)
- Petzl head torch (USB rechargeable)
- Bush toilet
- Carried by Michael & Udo in Land Rover:
- Shower with pump
Join our family & Subscribe to our newsletter
In this newsletter - max. 1x/month - you will discover what we're up to, tips & tricks, highlights from our travels, new interesting products and tools, ... We will never sell your information to third parties & you can always delete your information from our list. (Read more in our disclaimer.)