If you don’t want to go for the 100% bohemien look, guys you will have to continue shaving or at least keep those beard boundaries under control. There is no reason why you can’t do this in style during your overland travel adventures.
Disclosure: When you purchase one of the products through the links we provide you in this article, we are given a tiny percentage of the sale. The little money we receive this way help us cover the cost of keeping this website online and up to date, without you having to pay a dime more for these products. We absolutely do not have the intention to trick you in any purchase. We strongly believe in the value of these products and always write honestly. Our sole mission is to help others in making their dream come true.
Why a safety razor?:
- Built to last! (You only need to buy them once in your lifetime!)
- Environment friendly: no plastic!
- No electricity needed
- Budget friendly: Razor blades are much cheaper than cartridge razors (any razor blades fit any brand of safety razor)
- A better quality shave (less to no irritable skin and a closer shave without any pressure needed)
- Safer and more comfortable than the straight razor
- Easy to clean.
- Also available in extreme compact models
- And be honest, it also looks great!
The different components
- Safety Razor
- Razor Blades (any razor blades fit any brand of safety razor)
- Shaving Brush & Soap & Mug
- Greener and more efficient than shaving foam
- Boar brush:
- harder than badger hair
- over time the tips of the bristles will soften a bit
- Badger brush:
- top shelf brush
- retain the moisture better than boar hair
- Chose for an all-natural soap to avoid harsh chemicals:
- After-shave lotion
Note 1: The safety razor is the only gear item on our gear list we currently do not own, yet. The blades of the safety razor are easily removed and therefore not allowed in your carry-on luggage, only in your checked baggage. However, Elmer currently flies multiple back-to-back trips with carry-on luggage only. In his rather exceptional situation the safety razor is not so practical. Otherwise, this is a great item to take with you on your next overland journey.
Note 2: While researching safety razors, I discovered they are also recommended for women’s shaving need. So I still have something to test out.
Join our family & Subscribe to our newsletter
In this newsletter - max. 1x/month - you will discover what we're up to, tips & tricks, highlights from our travels, new interesting products and tools, ... We will never sell your information to third parties & you can always delete your information from our list. (Read more in our disclaimer.)